Sunday, January 22, 2012

WEEK 3: VALUE- 5 Shaded Vessels


Craft: To create these shaded drawing, I utilized Adobe Illustrator, a Bamboo pad, a Bamboo pen, the CS5 Mac's at the VAC lab, along with items found in the gallery, and the lab's own artificial lighting.  I made these drawings by trying to replicate the actual item and capturing the image in black and white.   Even though some items where in color, black and white would help show the value of the object and show a more three dimensional figure.  I began with a rough sketch of the outline and worked my way to the darker and lighter ends.  I combined all types of strokes, ranging from 1 point to 20 points in thickness. 

Composition: To really bring out the shades and make it look 3-D I kept on adding layers of thick and thin lines.  I also focused on the object's width versus length.  If the width was greater then I focused more on horizontal lines.  If the length was greater, then I focused on vertical lines. I wanted the viewer to see the image as a whole at first and then realize that it is all just made up of mono-directional strokes.  The parts of the object that seem to be colored in are also thick strokes followed by the smaller detailed strokes. The third thing I wanted them to notice is that I go through the entire spectrum of greys, from black to white, in order to show a bigger contrast, which makes the drawing really come to life.

Concept: Screen shot of a plastic milk bottle

Concept: Small teapot

Concept: Large teapot

Concept: Metallic coffee container...?

Concept: Small ceramic coffee mug

Concept: Plastic milk bottle





No comments:

Post a Comment