Monday, January 30, 2012

WEEK 4: Color and Texture Vessels

Craft (both): To create these shaded drawing, I utilized Adobe Illustrator (mainly using the "paintbrush" tool), a Bamboo pad, and a Bamboo pen.  I made these drawings by drawing a rough outline to guide me.  Then I filled in the object with one single color.  I started with a plain color with no value to it and started adding layers of dark and lights to that color.  I combined all types of strokes, ranging from 1 point to 20 points in thickness.

Composition (Color): To really bring out the shades and make it look 3-D I kept on adding layers of thick and thin lines. After getting a solid 2-D figure, I worked my way up to 3-D by adding many thick and thin lines of different values of the same color. I tried focusing on the on the light, shiny parts, and the dark, shaded parts.  This enable one single color to be stretched across and transition from a light to a dark smoothly or drastically, depending on the material the object was made out of.  If the object was made out of glass, I noticed a lot of the lights and darks did not transition and overlapped.  On objects that were dull, such as plastic, there was more of a smooth transition from lights to darks.

Composition (Texture): This was a little bit more challenging since it does not coincide with my style of drawing.  I had difficulty repeating the same numbers over and over again, especially when you just got good at unconsciously repeating the number 8, and now you have to draw the number 5.  I tried to make small numbers for finer detail and larger ones for broader strokes to take up more room.  I used one color in the background that was complementary to the color of the objects so that it made the object really come forward and pop out.

Concept: Glass vase

Concept: Gatorade bottle

Concept: Bottle of Patron Tequila

Concept: Wine bottle

Concept: Martini glass

Concept: Large round vase

Concept: Screenshot of glass vase

No comments:

Post a Comment